THE HUMBOLDT EDGE is seeking submissions primarily written or produced by local houseless & low-income persons for a new monthly local Newspaper:
- Artwork /Photography
- Editorial/Opinion/Letter to the Editor
- Reflective/Autobiographical Essay
- Food/Book/Movie/Music Review
(relating to poverty/homelessness)
- Suggested length 500-1,200 words
- Classified: Situations Wanted, Helping Hands, Donations Needed, etc. (Free! Word limit 25)
EDITORIAL POLICY: We recognize that everyone’s experience is their own and that there is a wide diversity of situations of homelessness and poverty. Therefore we ask that each writer speaks only for themselves. We encourage writing to be genuine. Gently invite your reader in: help them understand your point of view and imagine situations clearly. This means finding unique ways to say things by avoiding clichés, excessive profanity, assumptions and grandiose statements. Criticism should be thoughtful and measured, without demonizing people or organizations and should make clear distinctions between opinion and fact. The simpler and more concise the message the easier it will be for your reader to understand your point of view.
We focus on preserving the writer’s voice while editing for clarity, space, structure, redundancy, spelling, and accuracy of information. Grammar is edited only for understanding. We encourage writers to read your writing aloud, proofread and/or ask someone else to proofread before you submit it. The editors will attempt to consult with a writer if changes are deemed necessary. However, the paper will go to print with the story as edited if the author is unavailable. Poetry and graphics will not be edited, either the paper will publish the submission or not.
- For those who don’t want to write, we can use a tape recorder and write for them, exactly the way they think and talk.
- All submissions must be the author/artists’ original creation; any quotations and references must be cited.
- In submitting articles to the paper, authors give their permission to print their submissions in accordance with the above stipulations as well as possible reprinting in North American Street Newspaper Association (NASNA) member papers
- We will honor wishes to remain anonymous and/or use a pseudonym in print. Names will be kept confidential on request. On your submission, please indicate 1) your full name 2) your name or pseudonym as you would like it to appear in the paper 3) whether you are currently homeless, formerly homeless, living on the edge of poverty, or have never experienced extreme financial insecurity. 4) the best way(s) to contact you.
- Photos of people whenever possible should be submitted with the subject(s) written permission to print & contact information.
- Submissions: can be submitted to the Humboldt Edge (see below for contact info) or dropped off at any of the following locations:
- Arcata: the Annex (caddy corner from the Transit Station). Monday – Friday 2:15-3pm.
- McKinleyville Family Resource Center (1450 Hiller Rd.) Monday – Friday 9-4.
- Youth 10-21 years old: The Raven Project, Eureka, (707) 443-7099.
- Eureka: PARC, in the Q Street alley between 3rd and 2nd Streets Eureka. Once in the alley, you’ll see the PARC sign, yard, carport, Mumia banner & front door. Drop off after 9:30am any day of the week, if no volunteer here, put submission in mailbox by door. (707) 442-7465.
- Southern Humboldt: Debra Carey 223-3607.
- Deadline: 1st Friday of a month for consideration of publication in the next month’s edition.
CONTACT: email@example.com * humboldtedge.wordpress.com * (707) 273-7704 * POB 162, Arcata, CA 95518